Raw honey is an exceptional ingredient that can elevate a variety of different dishes – whether it’s for breakfast, lunch, salads, a snack or a delicious drink. Here, we explore why raw honey is different to regular honey, and share five special recipes to kick-start your love affair with Meluka Raw Honey.
How is raw honey different to regular pasturised honey?
There’s one description of raw honey that truly encompasses how it differs from the regular pasturised honey products you find in your local supermarket: raw honey is as close as possible to the honey one would find in a beehive.
Organic raw honey is known to be a fantastic source of antioxidants, with antifungal and antibacterial properties. This means it not only tastes great, but it can boost your immune system, aid in healing wounds, help with uncomfortable digestive issues, and even balance your gut health with natural prebiotics.
In comparison, the process of pasturising honey may extend the shelf life of honey but it destroys beneficial enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals naturally found in honey. Honey unfortunately loses these natural benefits as it is heated up to eliminate microorganisms and gains an unnatural smooth texture.
Key rule of cooking with raw honey
Before you start cooking with raw honey, it’s important to know that when mixed with boiling water – or heated above 40°C – it can actually lose its enzymes. Instead, by only using mild to warm water, you can preserve the naturally occurring nutrients within the honey. In fact, drinking a mixture of honey and warm water in the morning can energise you for the day ahead.
Now that you know what to avoid, here are five healthy raw honey recipes to introduce into your diet.
1. BREAKFAST: Banana, honey and berry hemp seed pudding
- 2 just-ripe bananas
- 2 cups berries
- 2 tbsp light coconut or almond milk
- Meluka Australia’s Hemp Seed Infused Raw Honey
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- In a food processor, add bananas, berries and coconut milk. Mix to combine. Taste and adjust sweetness by adding Meluka Australia’s Hemp Seed Infused Raw Honey. Blend to combine.
- Add hemp seeds, chia seeds and cinnamon. Pulse to combine. Transfer to 3–4 serving jars (e.g. sterilised jam jars).
- Cover and refrigerate to chill for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Lasts in the refrigerator for 3–4 days.
2. LUNCH: Honey balsamic avocado toast
- 1 ripe avocado
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli pepper flakes
- Meluka Native Wildflowers Raw Honey
- 1 slice of toasted country bread
- Cut avocado in half, remove the skin and pit. Thinly slice half the avocado (cut-side down) on a sheet of baking paper.
- Spread out avocado slices to make a shape like a U, then roll on itself to form a spiral that looks like a rose. Close the rose tightly by pressing with your both hands at the base of it
- Transfer the avocado onto a toasted bread slice. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Sprinkle a pinch of chilli flakes on top and add ground pepper. Finish with a drizzle of Meluka Native Wildflowers Raw Honey on top. Adjust seasoning with a pinch of salt if necessary.
3. SNACK: No-bake oatmeal bars
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup Meluka Australia’s Native Wildflower Raw Honey
- ¼ cup protein powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Microwave almond butter for 10–15 seconds, until softened. Mix together with Meluka Australia's Native Wildflower Raw Honey.
- Mix rolled oats and protein powder in a mixing bowl. Add softened almond butter and honey mixture. Combine thoroughly and evenly.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Place entire mixture in a cake pan covered with baking paper. Freeze for about 20–30 minutes.
- Cut into small bars and refrigerate in sandwich bags.
4. SALAD: Seasonal salad with honey dressing
- 1 bunch small beetroot, ends trimmed
- 2 bunches Dutch carrots, ends trimmed
- 500g butternut pumpkin, cut into 3cm pieces
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1½ tbsp Meluka Australia’s Native Wildflowers Raw Honey
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 small fennel, finely shaved
- 1 orange, zested, peeled and segmented
- 120g baby rocket
- 100g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Wrap beetroots in foil and place on baking tray. Line another tray with baking paper. Place carrots and pumpkin on lined tray and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of oil. Season.
- Bake, turning pumpkin and carrots occasionally, for 30 minutes or until pumpkin and beetroot are tender. Set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough, carefully peel beetroot. Cut into wedges.
- Place orange juice, vinegar, mustard, remaining oil and Meluka Australia’s Native Wildflower Raw Honey in a screw-top jar and shake until well combined. Season.
- Combine beetroot, pumpkin, carrots, fennel, orange segments and rocket in a serving bowl. Drizzle with dressing. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with orange zest and goat’s cheese. Serve with remaining dressing.
5. DRINK: Honey lemonade
- 4½ cups water
- ⅓ cup Meluka Australia’s Tea Tree Infused Raw Honey
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4–7 large lemons)
- Mix everything together (starting off with ⅓ cup of honey). Add more Meluka Australia’s Tea Tree Infused Raw Honey if desired.
- Chill and serve.
Explore the diverse range of Meluka Australia’s products to support your health and make your food taste delicious. You can also get healthy ideas at our blog, and find new tasty recipes for ongoing health and wellness.